Child Playing with Stove Started Deadly Bronx Fire
By Ian Sloan 12/1/17
The deadly fire in New York City is being blamed on a 3-year-old boy playing with a stove. The fire was the deadliest in the city for at least 25 years, according to Mayor Bill de Blasio.
An unattended 3 year-old boy playing with a cooker started a Bronx fire that killed twelve people. As the child’s mother fled with her two children, she left the door open. Due to the open door, the fire was able to enter the hallway. The stairway nearby allowed the fire to rapidly spread throughout the building, fire commissioner Daniel Nigro said.
The boy in the first-floor apartment had a history of playing with the stove burners, Nigro said. The Fire Commissioner said he’s unsure if all the smoke detectors were working in the building. Records from a city housing agency show one of the apartments on the building’s first floor reported defective carbon monoxide and smoke detectors months ago.
At least 12 people have died from the Bronx fire, including at least four children. Seven residents and seven firefighters were injured in the fire, according to the fire department. The injuries range from serious to critical.