Trump adds to national security team

By Gennaro Ilaria 12/2/16

President-elect Donald Trump has announced a new addition to his national security team in retired Marine Gen. James Mattis. Trump made the announcement Thursday in Cincinnati at the beginning of his post-election tour.
Trump spokesman, Jason Miller, said that no official decision had been made. However, Donald Jr. retweeted a report saying that Mattis had been hired.
The president-elect gave high regards to General Mattis, saying that “he’s the closest thing to Gen. George Patton that we have.” Mattis led Central Command from 2010-2013, which oversaw US military operations in the Middle East and South Asia.
Despite his credentials, many are worried about the former Marine’s tendency to speak out and the comment he’s made in the past. Such as in 2005, when speaking about fighting in Afghanistan, he said that it was “fun to shoot some people.”
He will look to serve as secretary of defense, joining retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn as national security adviser and Rep. Mike Pompeo as CIA director in the national security team. However, Trump may face a hurdle hiring him as he must get Congress to pass legislation to bypass a federal law stating that defense secretaries must not have been on active duty in the previous seven years.
Trump hopes that this is something that can be overlooked, and hopes an exception could be made as there was for General George C. Marshall in 1950.